Suniel recalls getting calls from underworld and ‘abusing back’
HINDUSTAN TIMES (May 29, 2023)

Actor Suniel Shetty recently spoke about receiving calls from the underworld in the ’90s. Despite the toll it took on him, the actor recalls that he made sure he didn’t take the stress home, healing from those experiences on his own instead.

“The underworld was rampant here (in Mumbai). You know, I used to get calls saying, ‘I will do this, I will do that’,” Shetty recalled on the podcast, The Barbershop with Shantanu.

“I used to abuse back. I had cops telling me, ‘Listen, you’re crazy. You don’t understand, they’ll get upset and could do anything.’ I said, ‘But I’m not wrong, then protect me. What have I done?’ They wanted me to work in their films, they wanted us to go places that we didn’t want to go to. So, that’s the background I came from,” the 61-year-old added.

Shetty added that he told the truth to his parents, who stood for him, just like he and wife Mana Shetty do for their children, actors Ahan and Athiya Shetty. “I would blindly believe Ahan and Athiya for what they did. I will never not trust them,” he said, adding, “I have never told Athiya and Ahan what I have done. I have done some crazy stuff. Got injured, got out of it and self-healed.”