‘My brother couldn’t even finish the first episode of my series’
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 23, 2023)

Nandish Singh Sandhu experienced the biggest high of his career and an irreplaceable loss in his personal life at the same time. The actor’s younger brother, Onkar Singh Sandhu, 37, lost his battle to cancer while the actor was busy with the promotions of his web series, Jubilee. Calling it the “biggest loss of life”, the 41-year-old says, “He was the closest to me. We grew up together in Rajasthan. Though he was just four-and-a-half years younger to me, I would treat him like my baby.”

The actor never allowed challenges in his personal life to overshadow his work commitments. Ask how he managed to continue working despite the pain he felt and Nandish says, “Apart from my responsibility towards the project (Jubilee), it was his (Onkar’s) wish. He always wanted good things for me. He always said, ‘Bhaiya, whatever happens, work is the biggest thing. You should never compromise on that.’ He wanted to watch Jubilee, but couldn’t even finish watching the first episode of the series because of his deteriorating health.”

While Onkar knew he was on death bed, Nandish recalls how his brother would only care for his well-being. “He knew he was going. In fact, we all knew he doesn’t have too much time. But he would always say, ‘I know bhaiya good things are coming to you’. So I knew that if I was not true to my work after he left, he wouldn’t be at peace. Today, wherever he is, he is going to be the happiest to see me work,” the actor ends.