Jaspreet Nijher (CHANDIGARH TIMES; May 11, 2023)

A Femina Miss India 1999 finalist, Deepika Motwani, who hails from Ahmedabad, became famous when she modelled for Jasbir Jassi's, music video Dil Le Gayi Kudi Gujarat Di. “The video was part of my contract with the pageant,” says Deepika, set for a comeback to entertainment industry after returning from the US.

She adds, “I was in school and had to get my parents’ permission to sign the contract. The video makers wanted me to wear chaniya choli. But I argued that if you are showing a pool side then logically, put me in a swimsuit.”

To everyone’s surprise, Deepika ended up in a bikini. She laughs, “I think I was one of the first women to wear a bikini in a music video. Back then there was no body shaming, I had no qualms showing off my body. After the video, I realised I was popular! I’m still called the Dil Le Gayi Kudi Gujarat Di girl.”

After the video, she completed her studies, got married and went to the US. “My marriage didn’t work, and I returned to India. I have been doing theatre in Mumbai since. I was in touch with Jassi and others who asked me to make a comeback. This is a beautiful time for Indian entertainment, it is bubbling. ”