I am happy to see more representation from India at Cannes
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 15, 2023)

She was crowned Miss World in 2017. Now, actor Manushi Chhillar is all set to represent India once again on a global stage — at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

“I didn’t realise the representing bit!” she tells us, adding, “If you talk about the film industry, there was a time when you would only have a few Indian actors go for these festivals (like Cannes). It is good that the numbers have been growing and there is more interest in this part of the world. I’m happy to see more representation from India.”

Chhillar made her big screen debut last year with Akshay Kumar-starrer Samrat Prithviraj, but it did not perform too well at the box office. However, the film helped her bag work. She will be seen alongside actor John Abraham in Tehran and may team up with Kumar for Bade Miyan Chote Miyan. But, no official announcement has been made yet.

“After Prithviraj, things have started rolling. There was a big pause because of the pandemic; we couldn’t shoot. So, I made my acting debut after a long wait. I’ve been fortunate to have got fame even before the film released, because of Miss World. My work generally was slow because of the (Coronavirus pandemic) situation, like everyone else’s. There’s so much you learn after your first film releases,” she says.

“Your first film chooses you, but you choose your second film. That’s really tough,” adds Chhillar, who turned 26 yesterday. “I have taken a small break to spend time with my family. I am a private person, but big on birthdays,” she laughs.