AANKHEN
CLOCKS 30
YEARS OF
RELEASE
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 9, 2023)

“Feels unbelievable,” exclaims Chunky Panday as we tell him his iconic film has turned 30. “If Chunky Panday will be remembered, Aankhen will be a big part of it,” he says.

Mention the cast of the film and the actor recalls, “Our producer Pahlaj Nihalani called Anees (Bazmee), me, Govinda and David (Dhawan) to his home and said ‘In one month, I am starting a film. Anees is writing it, David is directing it and the two of you are acting. Whoever else (actors) is available, get their dates and make a script’. Casting happened overnight.”

He adds, “I was told that everyone except me has a double role, I said that’s not fair. So, I was given a monkey (laughs). It was paid more than me and Govinda!”

Besides the rib-tickling comedy, what was also loved is the equation between Govinda and Panday. “The perception was that we were rivals. But, Govinda is the best actor in the world. Once you see him on screen, you will only watch him. You can’t see anyone else,” he shares.