Shefali Shah recalls being ‘touched inappropriately’ in a market
HINDUSTAN TIMES (April 11, 2023)

Actor Shefali Shah recently opened up about feeling “ashamed” after being touched inappropriately in a public place.

The actor recalled the incident during an ANI podcast, while talking about her breakthrough performance in filmmaker Mira Nair’s Monsoon Wedding (2001). In the film, the actor played the role of Ria Verma, who was sexually abused as a child.

On her own experience of facing harassment, the Delhi Crime actor said, “Like I said earlier, everyone has gone through it (such experiences). I remember walking in a crowded market and being touched inappropriately, feeling crap about it and never ever saying anything. I wouldn’t say it was guilt, but it’s just… shameful.”

The host questioned, “And wondering if you did anything to invite it?” To this, the actor responded, “Yes. I agree with you. A lot of people think, ‘Did I do anything?’ You feel guilty, shameful and you feel bhool jao (forget it)... Shove it under the carpet kind of a thing. Honestly, I don’t think I gave it so much thought [or realised] that it’s an important conversation. It was just something that struck straight inside me [while working on the film].”

In her career, the actor has portrayed powerful characters in projects such as Jalsa, Doctor G and Darlings (all 2022), among others.