nikita dutta
Kimberly Colaco (BOMBAY TIMES; April 12, 2023)

Nikita Dutta, who has starred in films like The Big Bull and Kabir Singh , recently spoke to us about nepotism in the film industry, the difference between films and OTT shows, her upcoming projects and more.

‘PEOPLE WITH CONNECTIONS ARE PREFERRED IN THE INDUSTRY’
Nikita strove to make it big in the industry and considers herself lucky to work with talented people who helped her learn and grow. “Simultaneously, I have had instances where connections have been preferred. There were times when I was selected for a role, but it was handed to someone else. Nepotism exists, and is always going to exist. But that only makes me work harder and keep going,” she says. 

Beginning her career as a TV star before moving on to films and OTT, Nikita says it was quite a ride. “I came from a place of no experience and no connections in the industry, but with the intent to work. Thus, when I landed the role in Dreamgirl - Ek Ladki Deewani Si, I took it as a learning opportunity to understand acting and become friends with the camera. Films were always on my mind, and I made the switch only when it felt right,” says Nikita, who made her Bollywood debut with Lekar Hum Deewana Dil in 2014.

‘WOULD LOVE TO WORK IN SOUTH INDIAN FILMS’
Nikita is a big movie buff, and a fan of south Indian cinema. “I am hooked on to south Indian films. I absolutely love them. If given a chance, I would love to work there. I just finished a Marathi film and a film called Dange by Bejoy Nambiar, which are slated to release soon,” she shares.

‘I HAVE ALWAYS GIVEN PREFERENCE TO CONTENT OVER MEDIUM’
Nikita says content is the most important factor when she chooses projects. “I have always given preference to content over medium. This is also why I have managed to cover all three mediums – TV, film and OTT. At the moment, I relate to OTT and film content more than anything else, and they are similar in terms of their approach. The only difference is storytelling, since you have the liberty of time in an OTT series.”