‘GUDI PADWA
IS ALL ABOUT
THE FAMILY
COMING
TOGETHER’
It’s a homely and private celebration for Amruta Khanvilkar this year
Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 22, 2023)

This Padwa is going to be extremely “private and homely” for actor Amruta Khanvilkar. She capped off the shooting of her film in London and will be landing in the city later in the noon. “This Padwa, I’m borderline away from home,” she says, “This year, mum is going to put on the Gudi. I will join her for lunch. Usually, I’m the one who wakes up early, Gudi ubharaycha, pooja karna…but ab ki baar, my mum will do it.”

For Khanvilkar, her fondest Padwa memories still lay in Pune, her hometown. “All my Padwa memories take me back to Pune. Puneyat we had a huge balcony where my father used to wear purple sohala. My sister and I used to wear parkar polka dresses. We used to have breakfast together and then for dinner, our dad used to take us out. We had a scooter and all four of us would go for a drive. It used to be fun. Also, my dad used to tell us stories about Padwa, the importance of the festival and other traditions. Spending that time with him, hearing those stories used to be fun,” she recalls.

The Chandramukhi actor, who was in Dombivali for a Gudi Padwa yatra last year, is particular about following traditions. “For me, any festival means following our traditions, doing things that my grandmother taught my mum and she has taught me. Padwa is all about the family coming together. Also, now that we have Nirvan and Urvi (her niece and nephew) the kids in our family, Padwa is also about focusing on them, dressing them up, making them say shlokas and teaching them about traditions,” Khanvilkar adds.

However, for her Padwa is incomplete without food. “For us Khanvilkars, food is a big thing when it comes to festivals. My mother cooks authentic puri and pivlya batate chi bhhaji. She also used to cook basundi, until I got lactose intolerant. She’s making sheera this time,” the actor shares.

Khanvilkar, who has been away from social media, is also set to “return” to it on Padwa. “It’s supposed to be an auspicious day to start something new,” she signs off.