The world has lost its Calendar: Govinda remembers Satish Kaushik
Satish Kaushik came to Bombay in August 1979 to become an actor. Pic/Twitter

Govinda, who starred with Kaushik in seven films, remembers him as the actor who matched Big B and him, punchline for punchline, in comedy
As told to Upala KBR (MID-DAY; March 10, 2023)

We did seven films together, and it’s astounding that each character he played is remembered even today. From my friend Happy bhaiyya in Pardesi Babu (1998) to the contract killer Pappu Pager in Deewana Mastana (1997), and tabla player Mutthuswamy in Saajan Chale Sasural (1996) — whatever roles he played, he displayed great comic timing.

The last movie we did together, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (1998), had my favourite Satish Kaushik character. He played Sharafat Ali, a famous dealer in Chor Bazaar. Nobody can compete with Mr [Amitabh] Bachchan when it comes to acting. But, in Bade Miyan, Satish ji’s comic timing with Bachchan ji and me was so on point, it almost seemed as if he was toying with us. His performance [and the way he wrote] the role was unparalleled.

Besides being a powerful actor, he was a very good writer, and wrote all his roles. He never interfered in other actors’ parts. I remember during the shoot of Deewana Mastana (1997), he had written his own scenes and dialogues for Pappu Pager [his character], even before I had arrived on the set. When I joined them on the set, I said, ‘This will not do, I will also add my lines [to my character].’ He was surprised on seeing the dialogues I wrote.

Satish ji respected that I wasn’t just an ordinary actor, that I could go beyond acting to [elevate the scene with my dialogues]. There are very few actors like him, who have the power to make each role unforgettable.

Satish ji was also a director, and he wanted to focus more on direction in recent times. He had come to meet me, and asked what kind of [roles] I would like to play in his directorial ventures. Over the last few years, we lost touch, but our connection — that was born from the warmth and camaraderie that we shared on and off the sets — remained. I was heartbroken to hear about his passing away. I am still unable to process the fact that he is no more.
---------------------------------------------
The actor recounts the time he spent with Satish Kaushik, who starred with him in a string of hits in the ’90s like Saajan Chale Sasural and Deewana Mastana
Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; March 11, 2023)

Actor and filmmaker Satish Kaushik passed on Thursday in Delhi. Kaushik, 66, who had essayed many memorable parts like Calendar in Mr India and Pappu Pager in Deewana Mastana, was known for his brilliant comic timing. In the ’90s, his pairing with Govinda worked its magic on the big screen in David Dhawan’s films like Swarg, Saajan Chale Sasural, Deewana Mastana, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan and Haseena Maan Jayegi.

Grieving the loss of his friend and fondly remembering his favourite co-star, Govinda said, “I have known him for the last 25 years. We worked together several times, and every film was a super hit. His comic timing and the efforts he took to write his lines were admirable. Even at a sad time like this, the characters he essayed bring a smile to your face. That was his achievement as an actor.”

The two actors had last shared screen space in Bade Miyan Chote Miyan. Govinda said, “The last film we did together was Bade Miyan Chote Miyan. He played a character called Sharafat Ali in it. He would come home to work on his lines. Even for Pappu Pager (Deewana Mastana), after I heard his lines, I said I need to rewrite mine. I introduced the ‘na’ after every line in Nagpada style. That was the way we worked. There was a healthy give and take. We complemented each other. Sabko saath leke chalnewala actor tha woh.”

On an emotional note, he shared, “Satish was extremely thoughtful and kind. He was passionate about his craft. He worked in several films for free. He played a character in Aunty No 1 and didn’t want to charge a penny. We had to convince him to take the money. Dildaar insaan tha. I pray for his family.”

A still from Bade Miyan Chote Miyan
A still from Bade Miyan Chote Miyan