‘When I was a newcomer, people bet on me’

Kubbra Sait does not make career decisions on the basis on the experience and popularity of a director; adds all that matters to her is the script
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 5, 2023)

After starting her career with a small role in the Salman Khan-starrer Ready (2011), Kubbra Sait’s current body of work includes shows such as Sacred Games and an international series, Foundation. But the actor hasn’t forgotten that it all began with someone taking a chance on her.

She says, “When I was a newcomer, people bet on me. So, after that, I never considered if a director is new or old. I look at the script as a whole and my part in it.”

The 39-year-old adds that she never looks at the name of the director while saying yes to a project. “You cannot say, ‘I will only work with people who have been here for some time’. Look at the (person’s) conviction. You learn along the way. At the end of the day, life and your career is an experience,” says Sait.

Having worked with known directors such as Vikramaditya Motwane and Anurag Kashyap, and being a part of director duo Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK’s upcoming project Farzi, she considers herself “very fortunate” to work with them. Explaining her process of choosing projects, she adds, “I love to do things for the first time and don’t discriminate. I love to give myself the option of having tried. I like working with people who work with the same sincerity that I put in.”

Sait was missing from the limelight for the majority of 2022. Clarifying her absence, she says, “I was filming. I have projects coming out and the dates are out too, so now I can talk about it. Among others, I will be seen in The Good Wife along with (actor) Kajol.”