Amit Sial set to explore romance and comedy in upcoming films

Iti Shree Misra (LUCKNOW TIMES; January 23, 2023)

Actor Amit Sial looked visibly pleased when fans in Lucknow shouted out his lines from his OTT shows and surrounded him for pictures and autographs on his recent visit to the city.

The actor, who was here for a film festival, later on shared his views on how OTT is riding high on the wave of success and what lends his craft a uniqueness.

MY ROOTS GAVE ME MY UNIQUNESS AS AN ACTOR
Amit, who made his debut on OTT platforms with Inside Edge, has now garnered considerable fandom after his appearance in shows like Maharani and Jamtara - Sabka Number Aayega, among others. Born and brought up in Kanpur, Sial says he applies a lot of his learnings from Uttar Pradesh in his acting. “I apply a lot of what I have learnt in Kanpur in my acting. When I talk about finding your uniqueness as an actor that is what I am talking about.”

Amit adds, “As I kept growing with age and experience, one tends to realize that you are what your roots are and it was my roots itself that gave me my uniqueness, gave me strength, power and when I started to use that, is when I actually experienced success and satisfaction as an actor. And the rest is history, as they say.”

OTT HASN’T OVERSHADOWED ANY MEDIUM
With the popularity of web shows increasing we ask Amit of he feels the OTT has overshadowed films and he says, “No, I don’t think OTT has overpowered anything. It is a new medium and people are always attracted to new mediums. When the TV boom happened in India, there were shows like Hum Log and Buniyaad which became hugely popular for their basic premise of being very real to life. People could identify with the characters. Aapko lagta tha aisa toh mere ghar mein bhi hota hai, mere mohalle mein bhi hua, aisa meri maasi ke saath hua, aisa meri bua ke sath hua, there was an immediate connection. People at that time thought TV has become a threat to films. Then because the glossy evolution of television, it has now become unreal and fantastical and it feels like you are watching a Bollywood film. So it is like a circle of life and will always move like fashion which keeps changing every decade. The fashion I am seeing right now is exactly like what used to be in the 90s. So Bollywood has its own place and will remain there. OTT has its own set of viewers and one medium can’t go ahead of the other. They will all co-exist, one can say.” 

- With inputs by Amina Ashraf