‘I AM NOT
GOING TO
SHOUT
OUT LOUD,
ATTEND
PARTIES’

Composer M M Keeravani is thankful for the laurels that have come his way, but won’t go gung-ho about it
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 6, 2023)

A Golden Globe win, an Oscar nod and a Padma Shri — 2023 for M M Keeravaani is certainly off to a great start! The music maestro, who composed the multiple award-winning song Naatu Naatu from RRR (2022), feels it is the beginning of a new chapter for Indian music on a global front. He is happy and humbled by the accolades, but isn’t one to be shouting from the rooftop about them.

“The feeling is good. But, it doesn’t leave me in a state where I am shouting out loud and celebrating by calling friends and attending champagne parties. I don’t do that,” he tells us.

The 61-year-old elaborates, “In my 34-year-long career, I have seen many ups and downs. My project Baahubali earned over Rs. 2,000 crore, breaking all the records. Even then, I did not celebrate anything. That is because if I celebrate my success, it may leave me in a good mood at that moment. But later, if I come across a failure, it will leave me depressed. So, neither do I celebrate success nor do I get depressed on facing failure. I’m happy with whatever is happening. It’s a good feeling, but that’s about it. At the most, I will go to a bakery and buy some croissants!”

Over the years, Keeravaani, the son of lyricist and screenwriter K Siva Shakthi Datta, has composed several hits in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi, drawing inspiration from folk music and classical ragas. He is the man behind hits such as Aa Bhi Jaa (Sur; 2002), Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai (Jism; 2003) and many others. Now, his track Naatu Naatu is taking him places.

Ask what the Oscar nomination in the Best Original Song category may translate to and he says, “People will get to know about Indian culture and music, which may open doors wider than ever for the world to embrace Indian music, culture and literature.”

He adds, “We are no less than any other culture in the world. We have got Hindustani music, which has got 10 to 12 styles. We have Carnatic music, which has 72 main ragas from which are derived thousands of raga subsets. So, this rich Indian classical music can be explored further by enthusiasts and aspirants from the West, which is very good. Music is an ocean. The more you explore, the more you are enriched. Naatu Naatu is just the beginning. We have miles to go.”

As for the Padmi Shri, Keeravani says he wants to use the honour for the greater good. “Padma Shri is a good thing, but a random thing. There is nothing hard and fast, no set rules or regulations as to who gets it. But, I want to take this opportunity to highlight the unsung heroes and my gurus, as now, my words are a little more in focus. That is how I’m going to use this newly acquired fame,” says the composer, who’s also looking forward to attending the 95th Academy Awards ceremony in March.