Man arrested for giving rape, life threats to Uorfi Javed

Unnati Joshi (BOMBAY TIMES; February 24, 2023)

Uorfi Javed was in Delhi recently, and says she faced a harrowing experience when her Uber cab driver ran away with all her luggage.

Speaking to us exclusively, she shares, “I had a few hours in Delhi before my flight, so I rented a cab for six hours. My team and I had gone for lunch, and we asked the driver to wait in the parking. When we came back, he wasn’t there. On calling, he kept giving excuses. When I checked his location, I realised he was an hour away from us. My male friend called him and said, ‘Tu abhi ke abhi aa, nahi toh hum complain karenge’. Woh restaurant toh aaya nahi, we caught him kahin par beech mein. He was drunk and kept asking for extra money. We refused to give it and rushed to the airport as we were getting late. He called us 17 times after that. When my staff member picked up, he started abusing her. We ignored him and boarded the flight. Aaj jab subah maine apna luggage check kiya, I realized a few of my things were missing.”

Uorfi says that Uber support didn’t help her. She adds, “They are asking me to complain to the police. Now, I will haveto go back to Delhi to complain. Mera pehle hi kaafi loss hua hai, abhi phirse flight and hotel book karna padega.”

For now, the actress is planning to file a zero FIR from Mumbai. After she tweeted about her ordeal, Uber had apologised and said it has “duly addressed” her concern. It added that it has a “zero-tolerance policy towards the use of drugs or alcohol while driving”.