I composed songs in less than a week

Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 22, 2023)

Music composer Amit Trivedi looks back at the album of Kai Po Che!, which he feels, continues to be revered. From Shubhaarambh and Manja to Meethi Boliyaan — the songs of the film continue to inject freshness in the minds of music lovers despite being a decade old. Surely, Trivedi couldn’t have a better reason to rejoice.

“Though the songs are 10-years-old, they continue to be revered. They are an inseparable part of all my concert playlists, as they still receive so much love. There cannot be greater joy for me as an artiste,” says the singer.

Interestingly, the 43-year-old delivered the film’s soundtrack in “less than a week”. “I was so inspired by Gattu’s (director Abhishek Kapoor) passion for the film and music that it rubbed off on me. It helped me create the soundtrack so quickly. He was surprised when I delivered the songs in just four days. In fact, he felt I hadn’t worked hard enough on the album, as I managed to deliver the songs so soon. A few days later, he got back to me saying he’d go ahead with the first scratch, as the music grew on him,” Trivedi laughs.

He continues, “Working on the album was so much fun. Since the movie was set in Gujarat and encircled around the lives of three friends, I stuck to the essence of the script. I am a Gujarati myself and it was a pleasure to create a vibrant and festive song like Shubhaarambh. It had a Garba-like, folk vibe. The movie was about friendship, so we also had Meethi Boliyaan, which described the bond [of friendship] really well.”

If he had to revisit the album today, would he want to change anything? Pat comes his reply, “Nothing.” He concludes by saying, “Since sounds keep changing, perhaps I would arrange the music differently. But honestly, I’d not want to change anything about the music of the film.”