Revealed: Ayushmann Khurrana’s new love

Jaspreet Nijher (BOMBAY TIMES; January 14, 2023)

The ‘Chandigarh boy’, as he likes to call himself, Ayushmann Khurrana is missing the warmth of winter bonfire on Lohri. Back in Mumbai for work after a New Year break in Chandigarh, the actor says the Lohri in Mumbai is not quite the same as it is in the freezing winters of Chandigarh.

Do you like to follow the set traditions for Lohri – the bonfire, the revadis, mungfali, the family dinner, etc?
I dig nostalgia and I am a traditionalist at heart. It’s a mixed bag. Sometimes, I feel I am an old soul but at the same time I am full of energy when I see something artistic, aesthetic or creative. Traditions give me butterflies. So, Lohri with its revadi, mungfalis, family dinner...it all reminds me of the winters of my hometown Chandigarh. In Mumbai, there will be Lohri celebrations in our society, but in 20 degree Celsius you don’t get the feel of the bonfire. It is really beautiful and different when it’s below 10 degrees.

How do you make your performances effortless?
It comes with your pattern and the time you have given to your craft. I was a method actor during my college days. But when I dabbled in theatre, radio and live television acting, it made me more spontaneous as a performer and it really penetrated my film journey as well. I believe in reacting more than acting, and when you have credible actors around,your performance gets better.

Your choice of genres and offbeat films has won you the reputation of being a bold actor. Now, what’s next?
My biggest trip in life is to be part of original content and I will be relentless in the search of uniqueness and attempt to be a trailblazer for content in Hindi cinema. As a purist, there is always this battle in your mind and your heart between commerce and art. And I would love to tread the middle path.
-----------------------------------------------------
‘WILL MAKE TIME FOR MUSIC THIS YEAR’
I would like to include music in my wishlist and it is something new I will be doing this year. I haven’t been getting time for music because I was doing at least three films a year. So, this year I will be shooting for two films and make time for music. I also want to reach out to more people via commercial Hindi cinema, like Dream Girl 2 which is coming up.