Trivia! Did you know birthday boy Chunky Panday still can't tie shoe laces?

Logesh Balachandran (BOMBAY TIMES; January 12, 2023)

Chunky Panday believes that films are not bound by limitations of language or regions. The actor, who has been a part of pan-India films like Saaho, recently shot with South actor Karthi for the Tamil spy thriller, Sardar. In a candid chat, the actor spoke about working in pan-Indian films, the impact of trolls, daughter Ananya. Excerpts:

‘CINEMA HAS ITS OWN LANGUAGE’
Talking about working in movies across film industries in India, he says, “The team of Saaho had watched my work in Begum Jaan before casting me. I want to work in all the Southern film industries. I watched KGF - Chapter 2, Ponniyin Selvan - Part 1, Super Deluxe and Maanadu, which were amazing films. I had earlier worked in Bangladesh cinema for five years and would love to work in Malayalam and Kannada films, too. Cinema has its own language.”

‘JUST KEEP LEARNING’
Despite a long career in films, the actor says that he has a lot to learn. “I hang around youngsters and keep myself updated,” he says, adding, “I’m lucky to have a daughter (Ananya Panday) who is also working in the film industry, and I’m learning a lot from her nowadays. I arrived in the film industry in 1987 and now, it’s 2023! Things have always changed. Cinema has changed. The audience has changed! So, as long as we learn, we will survive.”

‘HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO FACE TROLLS’
Chunky says that while it has become important for actors to be on social media, they also have to learn to deal with the trolling that comes their way. “Digital media is now both a big advantage and also a disadvantage. Anyone can share their opinion about a movie or a person. It is a tool that can be used to create as well as destroy. Youngsters are hooked to social media and it’s a necessity to build their brand. So, if you are in the public eye, you will have to be prepared to face these trolls,” he signs off.