Raashii Khanna: I thought only certain people got to be a Dharma heroine

Elated to star opposite Sidharth in Yodha, Raashii says actioner proves that meritorious outsiders can bag Karan Johar’s films
Priyanka Sharma (MID-DAY; January 10, 2023)

'Yodha' marks a big win for the child in Raashii Khanna. After making her Bollywood debut with Madras Cafe (2013), the actor veered towards the south film industry. A decade on, she has returned to Hindi cinema to fulfill her childhood dream — of featuring in a Karan Johar production.

“With Yodha, I had to pinch myself to believe that I could call myself a Dharma heroine. I got to fulfill my childhood fantasies, where [I] wanted to look pretty and be part of a glossy film,” begins the actor.

To Khanna, a Johar movie always felt out of reach. However, starring alongside Sidharth Malhotra in Sagar Ambre and Pushkar Ojha’s directorial venture made her rethink her preconceived notions. 

“[Initially] I thought only certain people got to be a Dharma heroine. I didn’t think it was easy for people who come from outside to bag such films. So, the fact that I am in this film, opens doors for others. You don’t necessarily have to be a part of a certain [background] to be a part of a Dharma film. Work so hard on your skill set that your talent cannot be dismissed,” she states.

At its core, 'Yodha' is a mainstream actioner. Khanna, however, notes that the movie doesn’t sideline its female characters. “Usually, in such glossy films, there is not much for a female actor to do. But in Yodha, there is a lot of responsibility on my character.”