Renuka Shahane finds auditions ‘raw’ and ‘cold’
Ashish Kumar Singh (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 27, 2022)

Actor Renuka Shahane is rarely seen on the big screen, but when she does, she makes sure her roles take centre stage. The 56-year-old, who recently played actor Vicky Kaushal’s mother in Govinda Naam Mera, says that she is indeed picky about projects.

“Whatever roles are offered to me, I want them to make a difference to the script. It’s not the length of a role that decides [if I’ll do a film or not], but the fact that the movie can be made or not without that character. The role has to be consequential to the plot. In that sense, yes, I am choosy,” she confesses.

Shedding light on the other factors that count, Shahane adds that it also depends on the credibility of the people she collaborates with. “You spend so much time on a particular subject and if it doesn’t see the light of day, you feel shattered. So, whoever you are working with has to see the project through,” says the actor, adding that she doesn’t pay much heed to things like which production house or banner is backing a project.

But one thing that the Tribhanga (2021) director is still not able to wrap her head around is the audition process. “For me, as an actor, it is very important to build a character. And that evolves through discussions with directors. Auditions are very raw and too many things are not told about the character. Directors are not even there to direct you during an audition. I feel it is a cold way of doing things,” says Shahane.

Citing an example of working with director Shashank Khaitan in her latest web film, the actor asserts, “Shashank did take my reading, but it wasn’t an audition as such. He wanted me to read out the script with my input. The moment he told me what he wanted, it became easier for me to build the character, emote and give what was expected of me.”