B Ajaneesh Loknath

For the first time since the controversy over Varaha Roopam broke out, the music composer speaks to us about the episode
Madhu Daithota (BOMBAY TIMES; December 6, 2022)

Ajaneesh Loknath was in his studio, working on a new Telugu assignment, when news of the ban on Varaha Roopam being lifted, came to him. “I felt a huge sense of relief. Of course, I knew I was in the right all along. But more than that, I felt happy for those innumerable fans who have been saying ‘give back Varaha Roopam to us.’”

“My team and I have been inundated with thousands of messages on social media and on my phone, asking for Varaha Roopam. I’ve got voice notes and videos of fans crying and demanding that the song be reinstated,” shares Ajaneesh.

Varaha Roopam, which was the highlight of film Kantara, was removed from OTT and an online streaming platform when Kerala band Thaikkudam Bridge went to court, alleging that the song was a copy of their Navarasam.

This led to a lot of buzz on social media, with trolls alleging that the music director had indulged in plagiarism. “Yes, initially I did feel low. After being around for so many years now, delivering so many hit films and getting awards, it’s hurtful when people make such allegations. Without knowing anything about music, people were making judgements,” shares Ajaneesh.

The music director points out that since Theyyam and Bhoothakola are both coastal religious rituals, similarities are bound to be there, be it in the music, make-up or the attire. “Likewise, the public may have felt that Varaha Roopam sounds similar to the song they are talking about, but I know that it is not copied. Goan music may sound similar to Sri Lankan beats, but you can’t say it’s copied. Which is why I am confident that I have not violated any trademark,” he states.

“This is purely a Carnatic raga-based composition. My composition is entirely different from theirs. I am a huge believer in Shiva and I now realise that the universe has had my back all the while,” he adds.

‘TOP MUSICOLOGISTS HAVE GIVEN A CLEAN CHIT’
Ajaneesh Loknath’s associate music director, Bobby C R, who has also worked on the song, shares how top musicologists in the country have analyzed both songs and their final say has been that Varaha Roopam is not copied. “We have the reports with us, too,” she says.

Bobby adds that the entire episode has been a blessing in disguise. “Offers are pouring in from all parts of the country. Ajaneesh is now a national name. Producers are telling me that they now ask other composers for 'the Ajju kind of music' for their films. He feels redeemed after the ban was lifted. Justice has been served.”

Here’s why Rishab Shetty-Sapthami Gowda’s Kantara has managed to grab attention of Hindi speaking audience