Model-actor Aleksandar Alex Ilic addresses the rumours linking him to Disha Patani
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; December 11, 2022)

While some called him Disha Patani’s fitness trainer, others believed Aleksandar Alex Ilic to be her security personnel. Recently, there have been rumours claiming that the two are a couple after they were spotted together in Mumbai several times, walking in and out of their favourite restaurants. Talking exclusively to us, Aleksandar, a model and actor, says, “I like how people have been trying to dig deeper and do the guesswork.”

The rumours linking Disha and him started after it was confirmed that the actress had broken up with Tiger Shroff, her boyfriend of many years. Apart from their public appearances, Disha also features in some of Aleksandar’s social media posts, which had people curious about this man being constantly spotted with the Baaghi 2 actress.

‘DISHA AND I WERE FLATMATES’
“We used to live together back in 2015. At that time, she was also with the same agency. Disha, me and a couple of other models were flatmates. We connected really quickly. Fitness is something that we both are passionate about and that helped us bond. So, we started going to the gym together, had lunches and dinners together. Spent a lot of time in the house together. We became close friends,” says Aleksandar, who adds that with time they became each other’s emotional support.

He shares, “Disha has been like family to me. In this competitive field, whenever we felt low, we have been there for each other.”

Aleksandar elaborates, “I am from Serbia and have been living in India for the past seven years. I began as a model and then ventured into acting.” It was during his initial days in Mumbai that he met Disha, who, like him, was new to showbiz.

‘I AM CLOSE TO TIGER AND DISHA’
Talking about Tiger Shroff and his sister Krishna, he says, “We all have practically known each other since the time we all started (in showbiz).” Ask Aleksandar whether the stories linking them have led to any discomfort between them, and he answers with a definite no. When asked about Tiger and Disha’s break-up, he says, “I am no one to comment about anyone else.”

So, who’s he closer to Tiger or Disha? And do they all meet even today? “Well, I am close to both of them, and yes, we do hang out together,” he replies.

Speaking about the way his equation with Disha is being spoken about, he says, “I see how this guessing game has been going on for a few weeks. The thing is that we know the truth. I don’t understand why people need to guess about what is going on? Why can’t they just let other people live their own lives peacefully? We just laugh off these stories.”

‘I STARTED OUT AS A MODEL, BUT I’VE SHIFTED MY FOCUS TO ACTING NOW’
On the work front, Aleksandar began his journey in India as a model, he then veered towards acting. He hopes that, unlike his former career choice, acting does open doors for him. He says, “Seven years ago, things were different in the modelling world here. There was a huge demand for international models for shoots, but now the focus has shifted to Indian models. So, I have shifted my focus to acting now. I did a couple of music videos. My web show released this year. I have shot for a Hindi film, which should come out next year.”

About his experience as an actor, he says, “I had done a TV series in my country before I came here. Of course, acting here is different from what I have done there. I had to watch a lot of movies to pick up the expressions. I love the quintessential Bollywood dramas. I enjoy watching Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s films. I saw Gangubai Kathiawadi twice.”

Aleksandar says that Priyanka Chopra Jonas is his favourite. “Not only can she act well, but also she knows how to hold a conversation well. I enjoyed watching her in Gunday and Fashion,” he shares.

‘IF PEOPLE ACCEPT ME, IT’S GREAT. I AM NOT ADAMANT ABOUT BEING CAST IN LEAD ROLES’
Actresses from other countries have been able to strike a chord with Indian audiences, but the same cannot be said about male actors. Point this out to Aleksandar, and he says, “If they do accept me, it’s great. I am not adamant about getting cast in lead roles. I would like to do interesting and engaging supporting roles too.”

When asked if he has a plan B in mind if his acting career doesn’t pan out the way he desires, he says, “I am passionate about fitness. Disha and I work out together. And that’s why there were speculations that I am her fitness trainer (laughs). She trains like a beast, and I enjoy experimenting with her. I have even finished a course as a trainer, so maybe I can pursue that professionally. But for now, the entire focus is on acting.”