Madhurima Tuli reveals she was bullied in school for her dressing sense and poor English
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; November 4, 2022)

Seven years after her last Bollywood outing, Baby, in which she played Akshay Kumar’s wife, Madhurima Tuli is all set to try her luck again in films. For those uninitiated, Madhurima had quit the popular show Kumkum Bhagya for Baby. She will now be seen as John Abraham’s wife in Dinesh Vijan’s action-thriller, Tehran. She says, “I am playing a cop’s wife, and will portray her struggle and the perennial fear of losing him anytime. I feel mera army aur cops se gehra rishta hai ki main judd jaati hoon (smiles).”

The actress admits that she was apprehensive about playing a star’s wife again. She says, “It felt like a repeat and also because they approached me after watching Baby. I had declined many films in the past and in turn, lost a lot of projects. Now, when I wanted to get back into films, I couldn’t afford to be too selective. I have realised that I will have to compromise on some aspects. So, this time around, I thought whether the character is big or small, if the film and the makers are good, I should just do it. Also, this seemed like a great project.”

A lot of her contemporaries from TV, including her Kumkum Bhagya co-actor Mrunal Thakur, have made a smooth transition from the small screen to Hindi cinema. Does she ever compare her journey with others?

“I am happy wherever I am. Beech mein mujhe thoda sa lagta tha ki sab logon ne itna achha kar liya hai aur main abhi tak yahin par hi atki hui hoon. But now, I am quite content and happy. Everybody has their own journey and so do I. If I start comparing myself with others, I will be stuck and unhappy. In fact, I am happy for all of them. They have worked hard to reach where they are and they chose the right projects. Maybe, I didn’t. It’s my fault and I can’t blame anyone else for it. Kyunki young age mein mujhe itni badi film mil gayi thi, and sometimes you don’t know the right step to take next,” she replies.

Now that she has bagged a film after a long gap, will she take a break from TV? “I am open to finite series, as it would be a little difficult for me to take up a full-fledged TV show. Honestly, I am not getting the right project. I am keen on exploring all mediums. I will take up whatever piques my interest. I don’t mind sitting home and relaxing a bit if I don’t like something,” she signs off.