Demoralising when I’m being mocked for something I haven’t said: Rashmika

HINDUSTAN TIMES (November 10, 2022)

Actor Rashmika Mandanna has been on the receiving end of a lot of trolling on social media. The Goodbye actor took to Instagram to address the issue at hand with a long post.

The 26-year-old actor began by stating how she should have addressed the issue years ago. “I am only speaking for myself – something I should have done years ago. I have been on the receiving end of a lot of hate ever since I started my career. Quite literally a punching bag for a lot of trolls and negativity out there (sic),” she wrote, adding, “I understand that I’m not everyone’s cup of tea and certainly don’t expect to be loved by every single person out there. That doesn’t mean because you don’t approve of me you can spew negativity instead (sic).”

Mandanna elaborated how the false narratives about herself on the net are harmful for her. “It’s frankly quite demoralizing when I’m being ridiculed and mocked by the internet especially for things that I HAVE NOT SAID. False narratives being spread across the internet that can be very harmful to me and the relationships I have in or outside the industry (sic),” she wrote.

It appears that the reaction has come after she was subjected to trolling for her comment about the Kannada hit Kantara, that she said she hasn’t watched. The movie has been made by Rishab Shetty, who also directed Mandanna in her debut movie Kirik Party (2016). Hence, comments on social media accused her of not being respectful to her seniors and “forgetting her roots”. “I welcome constructive criticism because that’s only going to push me to improve and do better. But what’s with the vile negativity and hate? For the longest time I’ve been told to ignore it. But it has only gotten worse (sic),” she added.

Mandanna also acknowledged that she appreciates the love she gets. “Your constant love and support is what has kept me going and given me the courage to come out and say this. I will continue to work hard and do better for you. Because like I said, making you happy -makes me happy (sic),” she concludes.

Celebrities like Dulquer Salmaan, Elli AvrRam, and her fans supported her with their comments on the post.