I’M 30, DON’T
YOU THINK
I CAN TAKE
MY OWN
DECISIONS?
Sanya Malhotra says she’s fed up of being asked who she takes career advice from
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 11, 2022)

Actor Sanya Malhotra has been in the film industry for over half a decade now, and is clear about the kind of projects she wishes to do as well as the ones she would steer clear of. But, the one question she’s constantly asked is, ‘Who do you take career advice from?’ And that’s something which irks her.

“I don’t know if male actors are asked this question,” she says, adding, “Auratein shayad apni [khud ki] advice le hi nahin sakti. I get triggered when I’m asked this. I’m 30 years old, don’t you think I can take my own decisions?”

Last seen in the thriller HIT- The First Case, Malhotra points out how questions directed towards female actors are more about looks and less about their work. Citing an example, she says, “Recently, I was with a co-star. He was being asked about his whole process of getting into character. Then, I was asked, ‘Aap makeup tips kya dengi?’ For a second, I was like, ‘Why is he asking me to give makeup tips? I am not a makeup artist. I am an actor’. I should have questioned it. I was not fast enough to react.”

“Maine bhi taiyyari ki hai apni films ki. I prepare for my characters, but I am asked about my makeup routine. It’s not just about looks when it comes to female actors. We work equally hard,” adds the actor, who is busy with Meghna Gulzar’s Sam Bahadur at present.

“I have completely surrendered myself to her (Gulzar), and I’m so excited to learn something new. That was my goal when I said yes to it. My life is going to change after working in this film,” concludes Malhotra.