I have nothing against remakes, says Yohani
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 27, 2022)

Yohani shot to fame with her Sinhala-language song Manike Mage Hithe, which currently holds over 200 million views on YouTube. A rehashed version of it found a place in the recently-released Hindi film, Thank God.

Ask what’s her take on recreations, and the singer-songwriter says: “I have nothing against remakes. I think they are a good way of making the younger generation listen to older songs. Otherwise, they wouldn’t even know a song exists.”

She goes on to highlight how her reach has expanded: “Look where my song has got me! I have the chance to connect with new listeners.”

Having gained fame almost overnight, with countless reels and renditions being made on her chartbuster, Yohani admits her life has changed completely. “It has been a very long journey in such a short time. I am so grateful. From being just a cover to now being in a Bollywood film... It speaks how far the song has come,” exclaims the 29-year-old, who has now moved to Mumbai to pursue more prospects in Bollywood. 

And the industry, she says, has been very welcoming. “People here are really nice. The traffic is a bit of a problem in Mumbai though, but the food is amazing!” she adds.