'FILMS AR NOW BEING MADE FROM A FEMALE GAZE'
Shraddha Kapoor believes now is a great time for women in cinema
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 3, 2022)

Shraddha Kapoor’s 12-year long career started with Teen Patti (2010), and three years later, she stumbled upon stardom, courtesy Aashiqui 2. Having been in the limelight for over a decade now, the actor says female actors today have it a lot better than when she embarked on her journey.

“A lot has changed since I started off, especially for female actors. Now, we see films made from a female gaze, with the female actor being the driving point of the story. Not only are women headlining many films and stories, their characters are written in a deeply layered manner, too. It’s a great time for women in Indian cinema,” says the 35-year-old, who will be seen next in Luv Ranjan’s directorial alongside Ranbir Kapoor.

While she says there is nothing at all she’d want to change about her career, her biggest learning so far has been that change is the only constant. “As an actor, one has to keep evolving, learning and unlearning. I just want to keep getting better as a person, and want to make the world a wee bit better,” says Shraddha.

Another stark change is the rise of social media, with actors going all out to engage with fans. With an Instagram following of 75 million, the actor has aced the social media game. But, does it take a lot to constantly be out there? “I don’t like to see it as pressure. My fan clubs, my babudis, they’re precious. I regularly go through all their reels, videos, posts and edits that they make with so much love and I get so overwhelmed. I’m grateful to them, I am here because of them,” she concludes.