‘NAVRATRI HAS
PLAYED A HUGE
ROLE IN MY
MUSICAL JOURNEY’
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 2, 2022)

Composer-singer Amit Trivedi is rooted in his culture, and he makes sure his music reflects that too. A true-blue Gujarati, the 43-year-old feels a different kind of energy during this time of the year. Sharing what Navratri means to him, Trivedi says, “Navratri used to be a big deal in my house. We would celebrate it with a lot of enthusiasm. Since the festival has been an integral part of my upbringing, it has played a huge role in my musical journey.”

The Badhaai Do and Shabaash Mithu composer is glad that his latest Navratri single, Dhol, has been received well by audiences. His previous track, Moti Veerana, also revolved around the festival. The influence of Navratri on his music dates back to his childhood. Recalling his fond memories of the festival, Trivedi says.

“As a Gujarati, I grew up doing garba and listening to dayro lok geet that my mom would sing at home. And my dad would play Hemant Chauhan’s (folk and bhajan singer from Rajkot, Gujarat) music at home. I also used to perform live at Navratri events before I started composing for films.”

So, does Trivedi enjoy indulging in garba too? “I am a garba lover and I used to do it earlier. But now, due to professional commitments, it becomes a little difficult,” he signs off.