Actor Rashmika Mandanna (Photo | Rashmika Mandanna @ Instagram)

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; October 22, 2022)

Diwali 2022 is quite special for Rashmika Mandanna, who made her Bollywood debut this year. Taking a break for the festival, the actress will be flying back to her home in Hyderabad to spend time with her family. As she revisits the traditions, she is also left mesmerised by the way Bollywood folks ring in the festivities by hosting big fat Diwali bashes. Soon to begin shooting for Pushpa 2: The Rule, a franchise that made her immensely popular, Rashmika also opens up about teaming up with co-star Allu Arjun and getting back on the set.

Currently, you are working across film industries on a lineup of back-to-back projects. Amidst your hectic schedule, have you managed to take a break for Diwali?
What are the celebrations like this year? I have taken a day off on the 24th, and I will be going home to Hyderabad to celebrate Diwali. I am shooting for a song currently, and once I am done, I will be free to binge on Diwali sweets. Having lived in Karnataka and then making Hyderabad home, I can see the differences in the culture and traditions. But overall, the way the festival is celebrated, its vibe is the same all over. I am very excited as we do a puja at home, the entire family is together, and we all chat throughout the day. It all begins with Dhanteras. I have this habit which I have been following since way before I stepped into the industry. I buy some silver or gold during the New Year, or before I start a new project. I like doing this during auspicious and festive days too.

Mumbai, too, has become home to you now. What do you think of the Diwali celebrations here, especially B-Town’s big bashes and their celebrity hosts?
It is quite interesting how Diwali parties are hosted in Mumbai. In the South, the parties happen within the immediate family members. But it is so lovely to see how the film industry in Mumbai accommodates everyone and celebrates with one another, which is amazing. I have never been to any of these parties in Mumbai, and I am curious to see how they celebrate it (smiles).

This has been a special year for you, it’s like you have struck gold. You have received so much love from the Hindi-speaking audience, too, and suddenly, you are a name that’s known across industries.
See, my dad always said that my sister and I are the Laxmi of the house (smiles). It makes me happy to see the kind of love that has been showered upon me and that today I am a part of people’s lives through multiple mediums. I feel like a part of their family, and it feels good to make each one of them happy and bring a smile to their faces. It is all thanks to my directors, co-actors and the films that I chose. My endeavour has always been to pick the best of films that will help me connect with people and touch their hearts.

When you made a foray into the Hindi film industry, you were already a prominent name down south and enjoyed much fame and success. Was it tough to set sail in a new industry that functions differently on various levels?
I started off as an actor in the Kannada film industry. My films got a lot of love from the audience, and soon, I had the Telugu-speaking people asking me to do some work in their film industry. So, I did that, and then, I was approached by filmmakers from the Tamil film industry. Likewise, people began saying that I should try my hand at Bollywood, so that’s how it all happened. See, the name and fame that you are talking about did not happen overnight. It took me good five-six years of gruelling hard work to reach where I am today. I have just started off in Bollywood, and so, it is going to take many films to actually get there. But the insane amount of love that’s (already) pouring in makes me feel special. I am just glad about the kind of films that are coming my way. I want to do massy, masala films here. I want to be a part of biopics and period dramas, too, and basically all sorts of cinema that will win me a tremendous amount of experience.

You will soon begin shooting for Pushpa 2 - The Rule, a film franchise that catapulted your popularity to a different level. Does that put some pressure on you to match up to the benchmark set by Pushpa: The Rise - Part 01?
I think it is the opposite. I am super excited because we know the world of Pushpa now. When we began shooting for the first film, we didn’t know much about that world. We have watched Pushpa: The Rule we have established Pushpa Raj and Srivalli. So, going forward, I have far more clarity about the world we are stepping into. During the first part, I was very nervous, but with the second part, I am genuinely excited. People have loved Srivalli and Pushpa Raj already; now they just need to go back and enjoy watching them in their world. As entertainers, we will give our best, and I hope people will love us (again). From our director Sukumar sir to my co-star Allu Arjun and other members of the team, we all have been in touch through all this time and are very excited to reunite on set.