Ranveer Singh
Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; October 1, 2022)

At the recently concluded FICCI Frames Fast Forward 2022, Ranveer Singh engaged in a detailed conversation which revolved around his learnings during the pandemic, how we all need to adapt to the changing content landscape and the way his wife, Deepika Padukone, has influenced him as an artiste. The actor spoke from his heart to a packed room full of individuals from different walks of the entertainment world, dignitaries and foreign delegates. Excerpts:

‘I HOPE WE CAN ADAPT AND DELIVER CONTENT THAT BRINGS PEOPLE BACK TO THEATRES’
On a personal level, the pandemic has changed me and deeply affected me, as it did to everyone in the world. The Indian entertainment sphere has been rapidly accelerated to where the western entertainment spheres are now. The gulf between the big-screen and at-home entertainment has become distinct, evident from the films that have been released in the past year. It is imperative that big screen films are made on a huge scale and are a community-watching experience. The community viewing experience is as important as enjoying a movie or a show all by oneself at home.

The rise of new verticals is evident. It’s all one giant landscape of entertainment now. The average Indian consumer has access to every kind of content at the click of a button, so there is an extra onus on us to look at the content we are creating. I am committed to big-screen cinema and excited about my releases in the forthcoming months. Yes, it is alarming that we have 12,000 cinemas shrinking to 8,000, but we are the people who are committed to the cause of big screen entertainment, and I hope we can adapt and deliver content that brings people back to theatres. After the pandemic, when I went back to cinemas, I felt like I had missed this experience.

As an entertainer, I want to contribute to things that make people laugh and entertain them. My next offering, Cirkus, is the kind of film you expect Rohit Shetty to deliver, and you go into a theatre seeking that. I have consciously chosen to be a part of this, and you have to give something to the audience that justifies their time and money.

‘THE HUNGER TO DO MORE AND DO BETTER IS STILL BLAZING’
I couldn’t have dreamed of being here. It’s almost every day that I wake up with gratitude, and I can hardly believe I am in this position where I am working with the finest filmmakers and working on the biggest offerings. I can’t believe it has happened to me. I feel like I am dreaming. I think 12 years usually is long enough for people to believe and for things to sink in, but it hasn’t sunk in for me. I am just as hungry as I was when I started. The hunger to do more and do better is still blazing.

‘DEEPIKA PADUKONE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST BLESSINGS THAT I AM GRATEFUL TO HAVE’
Deepika is a consummate professional with exemplary habits. I learn a lot from her. It’s been a while since we acted together. Bajirao Mastani is where we had a large number of scenes together. People liked the little portion we had in '83. Since we shot Bajirao Mastani, there has been immense personal growth, and as people and actors, we grew and navigated our spaces as actors.

The kind of credibility she brings to her work is amazing. For someone who has dealt with anxiety and mental health issues, to performher part in Gehraiyaan with that excellence is something. It is authentic, has finesse and is honest. I admire her craft and want to work with her again.

On a personal level, her art of creating work-life balance and sustainable life choices with authenticity is what I love. It has been a decade since we started dating. And she is one of the greatest blessings that I am grateful to have.

‘TODAY, ACTORS HAVE MORE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES’
I think this is the best time to work in Indian entertainment. I was talking to aspiring actors once, and I told them that this time is very different from when I started. Things were insulated then and the opportunities were fewer. Today, you have OTT platforms and films and so many employment chances. Back then, we didn’t have OTT channels and we would have to network, going to offices and meeting people with physical copies of our pictures. That’s how we got our foot into the door. When asked for advice, I just say that my story and time were different and your path and journey to get your foot into the door will be different, but I will encourage you to take the plunge.