Kriti Sanon's renewed interest in wellness

In the news for her new fitness endeavours, Kriti says managing 15 kilos post Mimi compelled her to train attention to athleticism
Sonia Lulla (MID-DAY; October 19, 2022)

Kriti Sanon’s leap into the fitness market wasn’t purely a calculated business move, but a decision that stemmed from her renewed interest in athletic activity. “When I became an actor, I knew there would be attention on how I looked. When you need to [dress a certain way], you need to be fit. So, I would weight-train. But, I realized the importance of actively staying fit post Mimi, for which I gained 15 kilos,” says the actor of the film that saw her as a surrogate mother.

“The lockdown was imposed, I had no access to the gym, and I was stuck at home feeling unfit. I couldn’t manage my weight, my joints were clicking, simple activities like sitting on the floor and standing up, or climbing a flight of stairs were turning out to be a task,” says Sanon, who has recently invested in a fitness company, and speaks to mid-day from the sidelines of the Skechers Mumbai Walkathon.

Sanon knew early on that she benefits from lifting, and turned to professional advice to shave off the kilos from home, equipped with a mat, and a few weighted accessories. “I did virtual sessions that began with mobility training, before progressing to weight lifting. When I struggled with small movements, I really began to wonder how I allowed [my body to go through this].”

Sanon encourages people to seek professional help in understanding the needs of the body when adopting fitness programmes. “Also, be consistent, regardless of what you do, whether that’s dancing, swimming, walking or jogging. Once you set a pattern, you will feel better about yourself.”

When Kriti needs a break
Sanon says she turns to boxing when she needs to “break the pattern of my workout”. “It is liberating, because  you can channel your anger on anything. It makes me feel stronger.”