‘ALOO CHAAT
IS MY
ALL-TIME
FAVOURITE’

Though a ‘sucker for home-cooked food’, the actor relishes her occasional binge, especially during festivals
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 17, 2022)

Shweta Tripathi Sharma has always been a foodie at heart, but her profession demands keeping her diet in check. However, the festive season brings with it guilt-free indulgence for the actor. “I am from Delhi, a place that leaves you spoilt for choice when it comes to delicacies. That’s why controlling cravings when in Delhi is difficult,” she expresses.

Recalling her growing-up years, the 37-year-old says, “On festivals, my family and I used to make it a point to get these delectable chana and kulcha from Chandni Chowk. However, Diwali dinner was always prepared at home. I am a sucker for home-cooked food.”

So, what does a typical Diwali menu look like? “Every year, certain dishes like matar pulao, matar paneer and aloo ki sabzi are prepared at home. My all-time favourite, however, is the delicious aloo chaat with teekhi chutney that my mum makes. Another dish I relish on Diwali is mirchi ki bhajiya. Since food that has turmeric in it and is yellow is said to be auspicious, I eat kadhi and aloo ki sabzi on Diwali.”

Talking about what she likes to cook on Diwali, Sharma jokes, “If I go into the kitchen, I mess up everything! So, for everyone’s sake, it’s better for me to stay away from the kitchen (laughs). But mujhe khaane ka bahut shaukh hai.”

During festivities, one often tends to go overboard, especially with sweets. But, Sharma makes sure to exercise portion control. “Puri-sabzi and such dishes are oily with a lot of carbs. But, I wait for occasions like Diwali to eat what I love. It’s essential to eat in moderation. Having control is very important. Even during festivals, one should eat whatever they want, but not overdo it,” she says. Sharma adds, “It’s important to enjoy everything you like. Restricting yourself all the time is not healthy. Everything should be done in a balanced way.”

This Diwali, Sharma and her husband, actor-rapper Chaitanya Sharma, will be in Australia for the India-Pakistan match on October 23. “As they say, home is more than just a constructed building and for me, it’s Cheetah (Chaitanya). So, even if I am away from home, his presence is enough. We will probably carry our traditional outfits to celebrate Diwali there. We have never celebrated this way and are very excited about it,” the Mirzapur actor signs off.