Fans say they have watched Jab We Met more than Sholay, says Pavan
Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 26, 2022)

Actor PavanRaj Malhotra is amazed that even after 15 years, people remember Jab We Met (2007), and, more importantly, his short role. He played the role of actor Kareena Kapoor Khan’s uncle, Prem Singh Dhillon, in filmmaker Imtiaz Ali’s movie.

“Initially, I wasn’t keen on doing the uncle’s role, but it was a good experience, as the director let me do my thing. There were a lot of improvisations. The line, ‘Maar maar ke tumba bana denge’, is mine. My dad would say that,” Malhotra recalls.

The 64-year-old feels that the film’s music, too, contributed to its success, as the songs were loved by all. “I have met fans who say they have watched Jab We Met more than Sholay (1975)! People love to watch re-runs of the film. A guy told me, ‘Jab low feel karte hain, tab Jab We Met dekh lete hain’. For audiences, it is a feel-good family film, something one can watch anytime. Though the premise is of a girl running away from home, there was no negative character in it,” he says.