Govinda

Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; October 15, 2022)

Govinda’s comic timing is iconic and still amongst the best in Bollywood. Even back in the day, he was known for improvising his dialogues on set without losing the essence of it. The Coolie No. 1 actor says that his knack for languages helped in bringing out the best in him.

Speaking to BT, the Hero No. 1 actor, explained, “I love languages and your comfort with them only adds to the fun element. I live in Mumbai, so I am thrilled when someone talks to me in Marathi. Mala khoop anand hoto. Not a single Maharashtrian feels that hyala kasa kaay Marathi bolta yeta? Ha tar Ahuja and I yet I speak shuddh Marathi bara ka? My grandfather was Punjabi, grandmom Sindhi, so technically I am Punjabi. However, I didn’t know how to speak the language until three-four years ago. At home, hum pakke UP wale hai as my mother was born and brought up in Benaras. That UP twang that I used in some of my movies came from there. So, my familiarity with different languages helped my performance and comic timing a lot.”