Rohit Shetty appoints Farah Khan to direct an action comedy for his production house

Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; September 18, 2022)

In a recent chat with us, Farah Khan hinted that she is likely to start working on her next film before 2022 ends. The director-choreographer-producer has been using her time away from ad films, and reality show shoots to gear up for her next directorial venture, after Happy New Year (2014), which featured Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone.

Farah said, “What’s good today is that my kind of cinema is back! There was a whole cycle when I didn’t make a movie because my kind of films were not being made. It’s time for the big-ticket, tentpole, event films and blockbuster commercial entertainers. Those are the ones working. But this time, I want to be quiet about the plans till they roll out. Earlier, I had a big mouth, and I revealed all my cards due to sheer excitement. But now, I just want to focus on the work and get it going.”

In the last couple of years, there has been buzz about two projects that Farah was expected to helm. Rohit Shetty had announced that he would back a comedy entertainer directed by her. The other film was rumoured to be a two-heroine film with Parineeti Chopra as one of the central characters.

“Rohit and I want to make our film together. He has given me a hefty signing amount and is refusing to take it back (laughs!). In fact, he has been very sweet to me. Even though he was not my friend, when my family and I were going through a tough phase a while ago, he picked up the phone to check if we were alright and if we needed help. That display of support makes me extremely emotional towards him. So, to answer your question, our film will be made but that’s all I can say at this moment. As for the other film, it was pure talk in trade circles,” she told us.