Genelia Deshmukh

The actress talks about her south cinema comeback, her unfiltered social media and more
Sunayana Suresh (BOMBAY TIMES; September 15, 2022)

Genelia Deshmukh is no stranger to south cinema, having starred in films in Tamil, Telugu and various other languages, besides Hindi. The actress, who is making her comeback to south cinema with an as-yet-untitled Kannada-Telugu bilingual film directed by Radhakrishna Reddy, talks about her social media popularity, OTT as a medium and why south India will always have a special place in her heart. Excerpts:

‘SOUTH CINEMA HELPED ME EVOLVE AS AN ACTOR’

South India has always had my heart. I have done my most special work there and I have evolved as an actor there. Even though my first film was in Hindi, it was entirely a South Indian production. I then did Boys (Tamil, 2003) and Sathyam (Telugu, 2003). Basically, I started out from there, so I learnt the ethics and culture very early in my career. I absolutely loved it. It has been a learning ground and I am grateful to the south Indian film industry because I got some fabulous roles.

‘BE IT OTT OR MOVIES, IT’S A GOOD TIME TO BE IN ENTERTAINMENT’

There was a phase 10 years ago, where you only had to be a part of the top projects. I was very lucky to be a part of good projects, but today, it has a lot to do with roles. There is fresher talent and they look for someone who just fits a role. I feel like a newcomer all over again, even though I began shooting for my first role in December and I have already finished four films.

I don’t know how that happened, but it is amazing to be back. I feel it is a very good time to be here, be it in movies or digital content. I was one of the first who took the south Indian film industry seriously because I loved the work. Eventually, you have to choose the role correctly, irrespective of the medium.

‘RITEISH AND MY SOCIAL MEDIA BITS ARE NOT FILTERED’

Everyone compliments our social media content. When Riteish started off, I asked him how he could waste so much time on it. Once I was involved in it during the lockdown, we just played ourselves. Most of our social media bits are not filtered. There is a connection that people find. I had a girl come up to me and tell me she wished she could be like me and smile wholeheartedly. I think this is what works. When we get this appreciation, it makes us feel good. It was just a fun couple activity, and if someone can smile because of this, then it is great.

‘PEOPLE THOUGHT I WASN’T WORKING’

I didn’t know if I was totally ready to get back to films. Riteish had got the first call before me as people had this perception that I was not working. It was a matter of my kids, but I knew that this is what I love doing. I would probably slow it down a bit. It is a role that I haven’t played before. I have been telling my director, Radhakrishna Reddy, about how he is portraying me in a totally different light. There are elements of what people like about me, but there was also something challenging. I am glad they approached me and I could fit into it. It is a pivotal character that is wholesome and has multiple shades.

‘IT HAS BEEN FUN BEING A PART OF DIFFERENT INDUSTRIES’

Being part of four different film industries has been fun, as each industry is different. We need to embrace this wholeheartedly and the immense love we get eventually translates on screen. I couldn’t have played a Hasini in Bommarillu (Telugu rom-com) if I didn’t get that kind of love. I think that’s what made that character so lovable. Even today, people call me Hasini more than Genelia. If that name has stayed even a decade after, it is a cult film.