I am in love, says Armaan Malik

Samarth Goyal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 13, 2022)

Singer-songwriter Armaan Malik’s non-film music is an extension of his personality and he loves sharing it with his fans. Malik says his last love song, You, reflects his personality and how he understands the emotion of love. “I have felt those emotions, I still do. I was in love, I am in love,” he says with a smile. We recently reported that the 27-year-old has been dating social media influencer and content creator Aashna Shroff since 2019.

Meanwhile, Malik is also carving a niche for himself in the global music industry. His recent international collaboration with British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran was lauded. “I am grateful that many musicians from India are now thinking about doing what I have done. It was super challenging, but I really wanted to create that space for myself. But, there’s still a long way to go,” says the singer.

Ask why he decided to explore international music and the De Taali (Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2) singer explains, “I have been a playback singer for a long time and when it comes to film music, it’s [made on the basis of] the director’s vision. The music and lyrics are not by me, I am just a singer. While I love singing for films, I wanted to express myself through my music. That’s when I decided to take a flight to Los Angeles (USA), put a pause on everything else and just concentrate on doing the kind of music that I wanted to make.”