Remembering Sidharth Shukla on first death anniversary
Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 2, 2022)

It’s been exactly a year since Sidharth Shukla, a popular actor whose fame surged after his stint in the reality show Bigg Boss, died due to cardiac arrest. However, even today, the late actor remains popular on social media. We speak to his fans, who are known as SidHearts, about their idol. 

Mehak, 26, from Punjab, met the actor in November 2020. “When I met him, he treated me like he knew me. He treated everyone like family. I was there with him for 30 minutes, and he was just so warm. I remember telling him, ‘Your mum is sweet and you are the best son’, and he countered me right away with, ‘No, she is the best mum’,” she tells us. 

Shukla’s fandom isn’t just limited to India. SidHearts are spread across the East, the West, and everything in between. 

Kumayl Abbas Rizvi, from Islamabad, Pakistan, mentions, “In the past year, millions of his fans, including me, have realised that celebrating him, talking about him, telling people about him, implementing his ideas in our lives will never end. He is infinite, a never-ending source of guidance and love. His impact across the border is such that whenever something bad happened in our country, he always asked us about our safety. He never differentiated between his Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi fans. He always considered them his fans, his SidHearts, his Siddians.” 

Nikita Sharma, 24, from Toronto, Canada, feels it is actor-singer Shehnaaz Gill (Shukla’s close friend) who keeps the late actor’s legacy alive. “For us, we see Sidharth in Shehnaaz. I believe he is watching all of us,” she states.
----------------------------------------------
RATNA GOEL
She is from Atlanta, USA, and has been running a fan account since 2017. “Even after he became really famous, he knew most of his fans by their names. I even used to tease him asking why he isn’t married and he always said he is ‘enjoying his single life’ and never gave a straight answer,”  Goel recollects.

SMITA PANDEY
“I sent Sid a mug with his fans’ pictures as a gift. And on Mother’s Day, he posted a snap with his mum featuring the same mug! During interviews, he’d remember most of his fans’ accounts. Once, he took my name and said, ‘I’ve met her’,” says Pandey, who met the actor on the sets of Balika Vadhu.

DR NUPUR KHARANGATE
“He was an integral part of our lives, treated his SidHearts like family members, motivated and guided us. I just wish we could go back in time and relive the wonderful moments he spent with us. His absence has left a void, which can never be filled,” says Kharangate, a dentist from Goa, who met the actor in December 2020.
----------------------------------------------
Actor Devoleena Bhattacharjee was one of the celebrities who spent time with Sidharth Shukla inside the reality show Bigg Boss 13’s house in 2019. While the two had a roller-coaster journey on the show, Bhattacharjee was still one of his close allies.

“It seems just like yesterday,” she says when reminded that it’s been a year since the actor died. Bhattacharjee continues, “Whenever it strikes my mind that he is not with us anymore, I feel extremely sorry and upset.”

Talking about the late actor, she says, “He was a gentleman. In the show, we fought but also remained cordial. Outside of the show, we had been really good friends. I smile at times, thinking about how he used to pull my leg, flirt with me, and sing for me in that house. He took care of me when I got injured in the show.”

Shukla’s fandom keeps his legacy alive and Bhattacharjee says, “I feel that is the real success. Not everyone gets this success. I hope Sidharth is at peace, wherever he is.”

Remembering Sidharth Shukla on first death anniversary