‘What I did in Ram Teri Ganga... was nothing compared to what happens today’
Sweta Kaushal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 26, 2022)

The 1985 romantic drama film, Ram Teri Ganga Maili, which marked the debut of actor Mandakini, raised eyebrows upon its release because of her bold scenes. The shots of her breastfeeding a baby and bathing in a translucent saree were quite controversial in those days.

Ask her about the same and she says, “It was not a real breastfeeding scene; it was shot in such a way that it looked like one. The cleavage that is seen on screen was all technically done. But the way skin is shown in today’s times, that (the scenes in Ram Teri Ganga Maili) was nothing. We should not even be even talking about it. Nowadays, it is all about sexuality; my scene had a purity to it.”

Mention that actor Padmini Kolhapure claimed that director Raj Kapoor wanted to replace Mandakini in the film after shooting for 45 days, and the actor, 59, says, “I am not aware (of Kolhapure being approached for the role). I am only aware that Raj Kapoor wanted me, because he wanted a fresh face, not an established face. He said, ‘How can I cast someone as the pure Ganga if they have an established image?’”

She’s now set to make a comeback in showbiz after over two decades with her music video Maa O Maa. Has ever regretted being a part of any film? “I started with a high standard. My debut was with Raj Kapoor,” ends Mandakini.