Anu Aggarwal

Actors Prem Chopra, Padmini Kolhapure and Anu Agarwal, who had worked with the filmmaker, share some fond memories
Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; August 27, 2022)

Producer-director-lyricist Saawan Kumar Tak, who was admitted to a suburban hospital in critical condition, passed away on August 25. He was cremated in the presence of close family members on August 26 in Mumbai.

The filmmaker, 86, succumbed to a lung infection, for which he was being treated for the last couple of days. He was known for films like Sanam Bewafa and Souten.

Padmini Kolhapure, who played central characters in his films like Souten and Preeti, says, “We had a great rapport, which extended beyond the journeys of these movies. We stayed in touch — over the years he came to watch my play and we would meet and talk. He was a lovely human being and so full of life.”

Anu Agarwal, who was in her 20s when she headlined Khal Naaikaa, recalls, “Saawan ji was always very respectful. I was a young girl, with Aashiqui’s success behind me. He chose to cast me in the film over so many senior and more reputed leading ladies. He showed a lot of faith in me and made people see me as an actress who could deliver a good performance in a tough role like that. The industry’s perception of me changed after that. I will always be grateful to Saawan ji for that.”

Prem Chopra, who was at the funeral, adds, “We did five-six films together. When he told me recently that he wanted to make his next film, I had told him to go easy with things. He had so many creative pursuits. He took highs and lows in his stride and never stopped his work. He was an involved and evolved filmmaker. And a dear friend.”
---------------------------------
Padmini Kolhapure and Poonam Dhillon pay tribute to the filmmaker, 86, who died on Thursday
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 27, 2022)

Padmini Kolhapure
Actor Padmini Kolhapure, who worked with late filmmaker Saawan Kumar, as a child actor in Saajan Bina Suhagan (1978) and later in Souten (1983), says, “I remember great things about working with him. I used to call him Saawan uncle, because I was a kid back then. But when I did Souten as a leading lady, he said, ‘Khabardaar mujhe uncle bola toh!’ So, I started calling him Saawan ji.”

The actor, 56, adds that he always treated her like family. “We also did a film called Preeti (1986) together, which featured me and (late actor) Rajiv Kapoor, whose birth anniversary was also on August 25, and Saawan ji passed away on the same date. Life is unfortunate. The last time I met him was around 2019. He didn’t even call me and just came home,” says Kolhapure.

Poonam Dhillon
Poonam Dhillon worked with Saawan Kumar in his 1984 directorial, Laila. The actor says, “He went so suddenly. But I am glad he didn’t have to suffer. I did one film with him, but whenever we met, he was very affectionate. He stayed close to my house, and once in a while, we would bump into each other.” The 60-year-old adds,

“He was a charming, poetic man. The songs he wrote, his thought process, his dialogues... he was a very erudite man with great command over language. Whatever he made — films or songs — always had something catchy.”