Krishna devotees used to come just to catch a glimpse of me: Swapnil

S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 19, 2022)

Actor Swwapnil Joshi, who played the titular role in the show Shri Krishna as a teenager, feels that playing such a character helped him build a deep emotional bond with the deity.

On the occasion of Janamashtami, the 44-year-old actor tells us about his experience of essaying the role of Lord Krishna on the small screen. He says, “I believe that as an actor when you do certain characters, they take away a part of your soul, but when you play such divine roles, they add to your existence.”

Joshi also talks about the response that the show and his character received back in the day, when it was still on air in the ’90s. He shares, “There would be huge crowds (Krishna devotees) outside my house as well as on the sets where people used to come just to catch a glimpse of me or take blessings. Ramanand (Sagar) ji, the show creator, said to me, ‘It’s not you that they are coming to, it’s the divine character that you are essaying that is pulling them towards you…Remember you are just a medium’.” He further adds, “I feel delighted to see how people still see me as a medium between them and the divine incarnation.”

Joshi, who began his journey in the showbiz as a 9-year-old and has been a part of other mythological shows as well like Uttar Ramayan sums up, “Be it the role of Kush in Uttar Ramayan or Shri Krishna that went on to become a cult, both came finding me.”

Krishna devotees used to come just to catch a glimpse of me: Swapnil