Jacqueline’s lawyer calls her a ‘victim of larger criminal conspiracy’

BOMBAY TIMES (August 19, 2022)

On Wednesday, after a supplementary chargesheet filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in a Rs. 200 crores money laundering case named Jacqueline Fernandez as an accused, her lawyer, advocate Prashant Patil, said, “The agencies have failed to appreciate that she was cheated and conned into this matter.”

A Delhi court will consider on August 31 a supplementary chargesheet filed on Wednesday by the Enforcement Directorate in a Rs. 200 crores money laundering case involving alleged conman Sukesh Chandrasekar, naming Jacqueline Fernandez as an accused. Fernandez, who was summoned by ED several times in the matter, has been named as an accused in the chargesheet for the first time in the case.

Advocate Prashant Patil, who is representing Fernandez in the matter, said in a statement that they had received information about the complaint being filed by the Enforcement Directorate “only through media reports”.

“There is no official communication from the Enforcement Directorate or the Hon’ble Court. My client has not received any copy of the complaint filed by the Enforcement Directorate,” stated Patil, adding, “Jacqueline has always cooperated with the investigation agencies and attended all the summons issued till date. She has handed over all the information to the best of her ability to the ED. The agencies have failed to appreciate that she was cheated and conned into this matter. She is a victim of larger criminal conspiracy. (sic)”

Patil continued, “Taking the entire prosecution case to be true for the sake of arguments, even then, no case is made out against Jacqueline under the scheme of Prevention of Money Laundering Act or any other Law in force. This is a case of malafide prosecution and my client shall take steps as required under law to protect her dignity and liberty.”

The ED in April provisionally attached assets worth Rs. 7.27 crores of the actress under the PMLA apart from Rs. 15 lakh cash, calling the funds as “proceeds of crime”. “Sukesh Chandrasekhar had given various gifts worth Rs. 5.71 crores to Jacqueline Fernandez from the proceeds of crime generated by criminal activities, including extortion,” stated the agency.

While Fernandez didn’t directly comment on the case, she re-shared an anonymous motivational quote on her Instagram stories. “Dear me, I deserve all good things, I’m powerful, I accept myself. It’ll all be ok. I’m strong, I’ll achieve my goals and dreams. I can do it (sic),” read the post. 
--------------------------------
HINDUSTAN TIMES (August 19, 2022)

Actor Jacqueline Fernandez’s lawyer Prashant Patil came to her defence on Thursday and claimed that the actor is a “victim of a larger conspiracy.” Patil’s statement came a day after Fernandez was named in a charge sheet by the Enforcement Directorate in a Rs. 200 crores money laundering case, linked to the conman Sukesh Chandrashekar.

“She has always cooperated with the investigation agencies and attended all the summons issued till date. She has handed over all the information to the best of her ability to the ED. The agencies have failed to appreciate that she was cheated and conned into this matter. She is a victim of a larger criminal conspiracy,” he said.

Patil told a leading news portal that they will be moving to the Patiala court to ask for a copy of the charge sheet filed by ED. Patil said, “We will apply for a certified copy of the complaint filed by the ED. It’s the right of the accused, so we are hopeful to get it.”

Earlier, Fernandez had shared on her Instagram story: “Dear me, I deserve all good things, I’m powerful, I accept myself, it’ll all be okay. I’m strong, I will achieve my goals and dreams, I can do it.”