WHY TAG SONGS OR ACTORS AS ‘ITEM’ SONG OR GIRL?
Elnaaz Norouzi feels dance numbers require hard work, too, and shouldn’t be belittled
S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 25, 2022)

Actor Elnaaz Norouzi, who was seen in back-to-back dance numbers in two big recent releases, finds the tag ‘item song’ imprecise and feels it undermines the vital role a song plays in shaping a film.

“Why tag songs or actors as ‘item’ song or girl? I don’t have any aversion to it, but I don’t agree with the tag either. Each film is a right mix of storytelling, music and characters. Not one can work without the other in Bollywood. So, for me, if I am doing a song or playing a bigger role, for both parts, I have to put in equal efforts. As an artiste, my hard work remains the same and I have to give my best shot whether I am dancing or acting,” says the actor, who was last seen in Jugjugg Jeeyo and Rashtra Kavach Om.

Looking back at her journey, Narouzi feels she could make it so far with the support of her loved ones and her own determination. She says, “I had to struggle a lot to reach a stage where I am a known face. There were times when I had no money, it was difficult to sustain. I don’t want to revisit all that as it’s good to move on, but there have been really hard times I have been through. The struggle is real for actors who don’t have a filmi background, especially in the beginning. God has been kind as I had friends who stood by me throughout,” she says.

The Sacred Games actor admits that even after finding a footing in the industry, she does have to give auditions. But, she isn’t complaining: “As an actor, one needs to continue exploring themselves, and what’s better than auditioning! Even big film stars give auditions, so what’s the hue and cry about,” Norouzi says, adding that she “never had a plan B”.

“I was determined that Bollywood has to work for me, come what may. So, shying away from auditions or running away from hard work was never me. And see, today, I am in a secure place, working for banners that are always on every newcomer’s bucket. I am slowly ticking them off, which means I am on the right track,” she ends.