Bhoomi Trivedi
Soumitra Das (BOMBAY TIMES; July 30, 2022)

Bhoomi Trivedi, who recently performed in Turkey and Dubai, says that it feels great to be performing abroad again. “The last time I performed abroad was at Doha in 2019. A few months after that, the Coronavirus pandemic struck and my shows in Australia and the USA had to be cancelled. Although things started opening up gradually last year, I wasn’t keen on travelling till things were more relaxed. Finally, there is some sense of normalcy and so, I agreed to perform abroad after more than two years. It was an amazing feeling to perform in Dubai and Turkey. When you are in India, the audiences get to hear you live every now and then but when you are abroad, the audiences probably look forward to our performances more eagerly because they don’t get such opportunities too often,” Bhoomi shares.

The singer adds, “In the next few months, I have concerts lined up in Singapore, Australia, Nigeria, the USA and Canada. Till November, I will be performing in at least two countries every month, which includes pre-Navaratra and post-Navaratra concerts. So, these are really exciting times for me as an artiste. ”

‘CRAVING FOR THE LOVE THAT YOU GET WHILE PERFORMING LIVE’
Talking about the audience response to her recent concerts, Bhoomi shares, “The moment my name was announced during the Dubai concert, the audience just went crazy and it felt so good. I was craving for this love which you get while performing live. Although I worked on many songs even amid the pandemic, such a reaction reassures you that the audience is receptive to your work. Also, there were families that met me on flights and at airports, and they had good things to say about my work. As a singer, I can’t ask for more. ”

‘2022 HAS BEEN AN EXCITING YEAR FOR ME’
Asked about what 2022 has been like for her, she says, “In 2021, I produced a lot of songs and felt very happy when the song Ghani Cool Chori from the film Rashmi Rocket was received well by the audience. This has been an exciting year too and with my band, we are working on some new as well as old songs. I also have sung for a couple of upcoming Gujarati films, and some albums and Bollywood songs are in the pipeline too. I am in a happy space right now. ”

‘EVENT ORGANISERS NEED TO MAKE ARTISTES FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE’
After KK’s unfortunate death, a lot of singers have spoken about how event organisers in India need to make sure that venues are not overcrowded, and artistes feel comfortable. Asked about her experiences, Bhoomi says, “It was really unfortunate and heart-breaking to lose a legend like KK. We certainly need more discipline at the venues. If the capacity of an auditorium is 500, organisers must be strict and ensure that not a single extra person is allowed at the venue. Here, often the mindset is such that capacity 500 hai toh kya hua, we can accommodate a few extra people, log stairs par baith jayenge. Having too many people inside can cause discomfort to the artiste as well as the audience.”

She adds, “After one of my performances in Dubai, I had friends who wanted to meet me in the green room but even after I requested the security staff, they didn’t allow them. In India, audiences often mob the singer backstage after a performance and ask for selfies. While they do it out of love, there is a need to ensure that the artiste doesn’t feel uncomfortable at any stage.”