adidas-runner-and-actress-saiyami-kher

Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 22, 2022)

Saiyami Kher will participate in Ironman 70.3 New Zealand, one of the toughest triathlons comprising a mix of swimming, cycling and running, which will take place in February next year. She had earlier tried to take part in the Ironman race in the Netherlands in 2020, but could not attempt it due to the pandemic.

The actress, who has already started training for the race in New Zealand, says, “I have always set fitness goals for myself. The full marathon (42kms) was ticked off the bucket list, but my next goal is the Ironman. I was disappointed when I couldn’t participate in the race in the Netherlands in 2020.”

Saiyami says, “It has also been mentally challenging to be self-motivated when clueless about the race course. Fortunately, things are better now.”

Her inspiration to take part in marathons has been model-actor, Milind Soman. She elaborates, “Milind Soman is the only actor to complete the Ironman challenge, which comprises four-km swimming, 180 km cycling and 42 km running. It’s the ultimate test of one’s physical and mental stamina that I hope to experience soon. I am attempting the half-Ironman in New Zealand in February 2023, which comprises a two-km swim; 90 km of cycling and; 21 km of running. Trust me, it is tough.”

Talking about the preparation for the half-Ironman in New Zealand, the fitness-enthusiast shares, “There are plans to club the Ironman with a cricket test series that I can watch after my race. I have already been training for it. I know the drill better this time around as I had trained for it two years ago. I have also bought myself a nice treadmill so that I can do my runs at home at my convenience.”

No matter how busy her acting schedule keeps her, Saiyami always finds time to train in sports. “The sportsperson in me will always stay alive. There is a sense of accomplishment with marathons and races; they give me a goal to work towards and keep me motivated,” she says, adding, “I always find the time to play or train, no matter how busy I am. I have just done a film where I am a cricketer. It was the best experience ever as I got to play cricket to my heart’s content.