Sri Lankans have a  lot of compassion: Aftab on his recent trip to Colombo
The actor, who visited the country recently, states the citizens are gentle and kind
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 23, 2022)

Aftab Shivdasani is back from a work trip to Sri Lanka, which is currently undergoing an economic crisis. People have been out on the streets to protest, and even entered the President’s house.

He was in the country that day, he reveals. “That was the main day of the massive protest. Even then, it was organized, everybody knew about it. Everything else was normal. I went to the gym, then a swim. One knew something is going on. Local people were always tensed, but inspite of that they were kind and loving, that’s the beauty of that nation,” says the 44-year-old.

The actor adds that he has travelled to Sri Lanka many times in the past. “I have so many ties and a close connection with the country. I know Sri Lankans are not the violent types. They are Buddhists, and have a lot of compassion. I know there have been incidents of them getting a bit restless, otherwise people there are gentle. I have never seen them aggressive or violent,” he says.

Ask him if he was apprehensive to travel to Sri Lanka under the current circumstances, he quickly replies, “I had absolutely no doubt that I will be safe. The locals don’t start any war with any tourist. People there are quite gentle [in nature]. I knew I would be safe then and I am back now.”

Sri Lankans have a  lot of compassion: Aftab on his recent trip to Colombo