In an exclusive chat, the actress talks about welcoming her child and why she chose to keep it a secret until now
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 23, 2022)

Sangita Ghosh is in a very happy space right now, but not many know the reason. The actress is a mother to a seven-month-old baby girl, who she has named Devi. Sangita, who was in Jaipur a week ago to perform a puja and havan for her daughter, says, “Devi was born prematurely on December 25 last year. It was an anxious time, as she had issues being a premature baby and was in the NICU for 15-odd days. It’s not that we hid the news, but we decided not to talk about it till we felt the time was right.”

While she is enjoying maternal bliss, she still finds it difficult to believe that she has been blessed with a baby. She shares, “Sometimes, it feels so surreal that I ask my husband to pinch me. Devi is a very happy child and a copy of my husband (entrepreneur Rajvi Shailender Singh). I recited the Gayatri Mantra when I held her for the first time… she opened her eyes and smiled. I can’t forget that moment.”

Soon after the baby was born, Sangita returned to work. She had to move to Chandigarh for the shoot of her show, Swaran Ghar. Understandably, she finds herself torn every time she has to leave her baby, who will be seven months old on July 25, behind for work. She shares, “I was in two minds about taking up the show, but my husband supported me and told me that he was there for the baby. That kind of support and confidence was overwhelming.”

Much before Devi came into the picture, Sangita had been scarred by a miscarriage in 2015. “I can’t explain how bad the experience was. I couldn’t believe it and kept wondering mere saath aise kaise ho gaya.Imagine losing a life that’s growing inside you,” she says.

That’s when the actress plunged deep into work with the series Parvarrish to distract herself. “I needed that confidence and appreciation. So, I got busy with work. Then the pandemic happened and my husband brought up the topic of starting a family again. I was really scared, but he was keen. So, here we are. We didn’t tell anyone because I was worried and superstitious. We informed our mothers after six-to-seven months,” she says.

While she yearns to reunite with her daughter when at the shoot, she isn’t complaining. She has her bundle of joy visiting and staying with her every now and then. “Devi was with me in Chandigarh for a month. She gives me so much joy and I do miss her terribly when she is not with me. The graduation from a woman to a mother makes me feel complete and empowered. My tiny one has me wrapped around her little finger,” she signs off.