Kajol on clocking 30 years in showbiz: Feels like  I just started yesterday

Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 13, 2022)

It was in the year 1992, when the then 17-year-old Kajol, still in school, was all set to make her big screen debut with Bekhudi. The actor, who completes three decades in the Hindi film industry this month, is still ruling hearts.

Inevitably overwhelmed, Kajol says, “I didn’t even realize that I was completing 30 years. This is a shocker. Pata nahin chala, 30 saal guzar gaye. I’m overwhelmed by this. It feels like I started (my career) just yesterday. Then I look at my kids and I’m like, ‘Bacche bhi bade ho gaye hain toh time toh paas hua hoga zarur’. I feel grateful that there have been so many people who have given me such wonderful scripts and characters — from (filmmakers) Abbas-Mustan and Karan (Johar) to Adi (Aditya Chopra) and Ajay (Devgn, actor), who was not my husband at that time.”

The 47-year-old will now experiment with the web space and will soon be seen in a digital series. While she confirms the news by saying, “I’m coming on OTT,” she also adds that she can’t “really speak much” about the project.

Interestingly, not many are aware that her web debut could have happened years ago, as filmmaker Ram Madhvani had Kajol in his mind when he was remaking the Dutch thriller Penoza, which was later remade as the web show Aarya with actor Sushmita Sen. Ask her if she has watched the show, and she says, “I did, and I liked the script very much. But it didn’t work out for me at that time.” Was it due to date issues? “There were other reasons for it,” she says.

Kajol is the most recent Bollywood star to receive an invitation to be a part of the Oscars Committee. The actor, who will have voting privileges at the 95th Academy Awards, feels “very grateful” for this opportunity.

Ask if she feels any pressure about the responsibilities that come with it, and she says, “Dekha jayega jab hoga.”