Taarak Mehta

Akash Wadhwa (BOMBAY TIMES; July 24, 2022)

Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah recently got a new Nattu Kaka. Theatre veteran Kiran Bhatt stepped into the shoes of the character, which was earlier essayed by late Ghanashyam Nayak. Bhatt, who is enjoying being on screen, shares, “To play this iconic character of Nattu Kaka is a very good feeling. I was called for the audition by Asit Modi ji and the makers liked my way of portraying the role. I had met Ghanashyam ji several times in the past. I used to tell him how good the show was, not realising that one day I would be a part of Taarak Mehta... The first day of the shoot was a very emotional moment for me.”

Ask him if he is following the body language of the original Nattu Kaka or is he trying to bring his own style to the role, and Bhatt says, “I am trying to copy his mannerisms in my own way. People used to like him a lot and so I am sticking to how he used to portray the character.”

Not many know that Bhatt had acted in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi many years ago. “I played Ketki Dave’s brother then. A lot has changed now. Things are way too professional and even technically, we are very sound. I haven’t done too many Hindi shows as I have been busy with Gujarati theatre, where I produce, direct, write and even act in the plays,” he says.