I am a true birthday-zilla,says Bhumi

Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 18, 2022)

Actor Bhumi Pednekar is obsessed with birthdays and all things related to them, and she likes to ensure that she goes big with her celebrations. “I’m quite a birthday-zilla. Jaise bridezilla hoti hain,” laughs Pednekar, who turns 33 today.

She shares that there is constant pressure on her loved ones to make the occasion particularly memorable: “My family does sweet things to surprise me. Like, the friend who you thought might not come, will surprise you, etc.”

The Badhaai Do actor likes to spend the special day with her family and friends, gorging on good food. “I have a lot of people coming over to my place. It is always a packed house. Usually, I am at home. I wake up to my mum making something that I love to eat for breakfast, like poha or dosa. Since I am always out of my house, I love eating a good Indian breakfast when I wake up,” she says.

However, this year, “it will be a working birthday” for her as she will be on promotional tours for her upcoming film, Raksha Bandhan. “Unfortunately, I won’t be with my family. But it’s okay. I also love working on my birthday,” says Pednekar, who has projects such as The Ladykiller and Bheed in the pipeline.

The actor believes that the days when performers worried about disclosing their age in public or worried that it would become a barrier in their career, are long gone. “Age is just a number. I don’t think we (female actors) have a shelf life because there are such diverse characters being written. It is a good time for actors. I am happy with the things that I’m doing and the kind of work I am getting to do today, which will come out in the months to follow,” Pednekar ends.