Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; June 26, 2022)

Shweta Shetty, who has sung songs like Rukmani Rukmani (Roja), Mangta Hai Kya (Rangeela) and Ye Khabar Chapwado Akhbar Mein (Aflatoon), became a popular name in the early ’90s. She also has peppy tracks like Deewane To Deewane Hain, Johny Johny Joker and Dil Tote Tote Ho Gaya (Bichhoo) to her credit. Besides singing for A R Rahman compositions for films, she has also performed globally with the composer as well as other artistes like Sarah Brightman, Frank Peterson, the German band Gregorian and the German electronic music duo Jam and Spoon.

Though she has been missing from the music scene for a while, she is now set to return to the stage on July 1 at the Royal Opera House, Charni Road. Shweta married Clemens Brandt, a resident of Germany, in 1997 and moved there soon after. “I was in Germany for 20 years and came back in 2015,” shares the singer.

She adds that coming back to India made her want to pursue music again. She shares, “I realised that many things had changed here — there was no pop music and Bollywood was out of the question. But being in Mumbai, where there is so much music and inspiration, made me want to pursue music again.”

When asked why she is making her comeback now, Shweta replies, “During the Coronavirus-induced lockdown, many rediscovered ’90s music. Many youngsters were listening to my tracks like Deewane Toh Deewane and Dil Tote Tote, and tagging me. They were not even born when I sang these songs (laughs!). Their response inspired the artiste in me. I take this as a sign to reach out to all my fans.”

Ask her if she is nervous about her comeback, and she says, “I’d be lying if I say I am not nervous. When you are performing solo, there are too many things to worry about. While I have been on stage in the past, it usually has been to perform one song or when I performed with other musicians. This, however, is different. It is a solo show and I will be carrying it on my shoulders.”

Shweta further adds, “I want to bring back happy moments and connect with my audience. I want to know if I have it in me, after all these years, to carry a show on my shoulders. The ’90s were such wonderful, unforgettable times. There are so many memories attached to all these songs.”
---------------------------------------
After her decades-old music gained attention in the lockdown, Shweta Shetty to present songs from the era at her next gig
Sonia Lulla (MID-DAY; June 27, 2022)

It began with a simple joke. Finding themselves locked within the confines of their homes in 2020, Indian citizens turned to music to amuse themselves. Khidki Pe Aaun Na Bahar Na Jaun, Kaise Main Sara Din Ghar Mein Bithaun, sang Shweta Shetty, mirroring a situation that everyone was encountering. Evidently then, it didn’t take time for her ’90s track, Deewane Deewane Toh Deewane Hai, to go viral.

“I was surprised to see that the new generation found it to be relevant. Youngsters between the age of 15 and 24 were tagging me on social media with the song,” says the singer, adding that subsequently, her track, Tote tote, also caught their fancy. 

Noticing that there was interest in the music of the ’90s, Shetty was convinced that she’d return with a show that paid homage to the decade, as soon as she got the chance to return to the stage. Come July 1, the singer will serenade listeners with A 90’s Night, where she will recreate a bunch of Hindi and English numbers for the audience at the Royal Opera House.

“I was sure that the new generation needs to know what the music of the ’90s was like. I had enough material for a 90-minute show, so I decided to do this. I wanted to be supported by a band that could play Hindi music, but not like it is traditionally done. I wanted an element of jazz associated with it. I will play acoustic versions of [popular] tracks, and perhaps render Purple rain on the keyboard.”

On her list are tracks like Johnny joker, Poster Lagwa Do, Tote Tote, and Mangta Hai Kya with “a jazzy twist”. Although she is excited to present her version to listeners, she says singers cannot “deviate from the original iconic number because people will say, ‘Maza nahi aaya’.” “People remember famous songs, as well as the scenes that were attached with them. They will remember how the original was rendered as well, so, if anyone is recreating it, they need to do a better job than the original composer did. That is a tough feat.”