Tusshar Kapoor son Laksshya Kapoor

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; June 18, 2022)

In 2016, Tusshar Kapoor became a father to his son, Laksshya, who was born through surrogacy. While everyone was surprised and had a bunch of questions for the single dad, Tusshar was at a stage where he was ready to embrace this new phase of his life – parenthood. It’s been six years now, and the actor says that he has “seamlessly blended into this role”. With Father's Day coming up tomorrow, Tusshar shares how much he loves his daddy duties, how different Jeetendra and he are as dads, and stresses on how his unconventional family is solid and complete. Excerpts…

How special has Father’s Day been for you? While growing up, do you have memories of celebrating this day with your dad, actor Jeetendra?
I don’t think we celebrated this day in India back when I was a kid. It wasn’t so popular. For us, every Friday would be Father’s Day. Dad used to be busy shooting down South, so every Friday, we all would visit him in Chennai or Hyderabad. Every weekend would be spent there in his company. Then when I grew up, Father’s Day became more about simple greetings to my dad. I am very inexpressive when it comes to wishing people on birthdays or such special occasions. I believe in showing less and doing more. My son, Laksshya, on the other hand, is totally the opposite.

While I hate celebrating my birthdays and being in the limelight on such days, he enjoys celebrating his birthday and is super excited even for my birthday. He is expressive and asks me things like, ‘On my friends’ birthdays you give them gifts, but on my birthday, you never give me any gift.’ Well, I don’t give him gifts because he already gets so many gifts on his birthday (laughs!). After I started celebrating Laksshya’s birthday, I realised the importance of this day. It is okay to get pampered on this one day of the year. This phase has made me realise that I am a better father than a son!

Anything special that you have planned to do together on the day?
I plan to do some outdoorsy activity with him. We might go for a walk in the park, and then to some nice place for lunch. In the evening, I would want him to spend time with his friends. Otherwise, for me, every day is Father’s Day, as I spend so much time on parenting duties.

As a dad, how different or similar are your father and you?
Dad has been like this quintessential Indian father of his time. I have always looked up to him and respected him. You know the typical Indian fathers of those times… kids weren’t overfriendly or even friendly with them. He was mostly very busy and would work through the year. He would take time out for us during summer vacations and weekends. When it comes to me, I am the dad and the mom. I am on top of everything. I am structured, very affectionate and very hands-on. Laksshya openly speaks his mind to me. I know exactly how my son is doing in school or who his real friends are. Having said that, I don’t interfere. I am not a controlling or overbearing father. I don’t like it when people say things like, ‘You are a very good father’, as I am just doing things that most parents do. Just because I am a single man and an actor, and ours is an unconventional family, people think that I am doing so much.

How have the senior members of your family, especially your parents, embraced your journey through fatherhood? Is parenting just the way you perceived it to be?
Initially, my parents did wonder how I would be able to deal with the duties of a father, considering I am busy with work. They wondered if I would be able to be a hands-on parent as much as I would like to. They also wondered whether I would be dependent on them to take care of my child. However, it has been the opposite (laughs!). They always struggle to spend time with Laksshya. They keep asking me, ‘Hamara turn kab aayega (to babysit him).’ They think I spend way too much time with him and don’t leave any scope for them.

I think I have seamlessly blended into the new life that I have embraced. The day I held my son in my arms, I was a little nervous. Yes, my life turned around completely, but I did blend in. Since the time he came home, I have been by Laksshya’s side throughout. I plan my days as per his schedule. I had to introduce a few changes to my life and yes, the spontaneity is not there anymore. Also, because I became a dad at 40, I think I was able to pull it off so well. Had I become a father at 30, then probably I wouldn’t have been the kind of dad that I am today. At 40, it was easier to adapt to this new life.

While you are a single father, your sister Ekta is a single mother. Do you have each other’s back when it comes to parental duties?
Yes, of course. Ekta and I step up for each other and take care of Laksshya and Ravie (Ekta’s son) whenever either of us is not in town. We exchange tips as parents. Just a few days ago, I told Ekta that I wanted Ravie to have short hair and she liked my suggestion and got him a new haircut. Ravie spends a lot of time at my place with Laksshya. The cousins are quite close to each other. I have turned to women for tips and suggestions because they are really good at certain things. Likewise, I share my opinions with them, which brings in a fresh perspective too.

Laksshya is growing up and there will be instances where his peers will ask him about his unconventional family. Or he may turn to you and ask you about his mother. You must have prepared yourself to tackle these moments and situations...
I will tell him that all families are different from each other. Sometimes there are families where the parents are in two different countries, then there are those where the child has unfortunately lost one parent. There are families where there is a single parent, and there are parents who are separated or are in a long-distance relationship. Also, there are kids who are growing up without any parents, but with their grandparents. So, every family is facing some challenge or the other. You know what, having said that, these families won’t be questioned, but I would be questioned as in my case, I am single and not married. I will be questioned, which is fine, and I have the answers. I feel being different doesn’t mean being dysfunctional. A ‘different’ family is not necessarily a ‘dysfunctional’ family. I hope to break this myth. I have told Laksshya that the family that he is in is a complete family. I think he is growing up feeling nurtured, secure and confident. And I think that is what a normal family should be like.